Tuesday 8 October 2013

Thoughts from The Team GB Leader

I am a rain drop what can I do?
I love the feel of gentle summer rain on my face, especially after a long hot summer like this one.  My plants need it to flourish in my garden.  Even my strongest horse chestnuts need it or they will die.
The strength of these small drops is only understood when you follow their passage over the earth.  They join into streams and rivers which can cut through the landscape and make lakes and seas.  These can erode and build coastlines.  Water in its frozen form can break metal and shatter mountains into tiny bits, then carry them for hundreds of miles.  Are you getting my gist?
The Team UK at the Open European Championships were streamed directly into your rooms and hands, wonderful! This gave the impression that it was a few handler and dog teams that took part.  How wrong can you be.

It is the support from the grass roots of HTM in this country that I am taking a round about way of giving a standing ovation for.
·         Clubs that either sponsored directly or allowed us to have a stand at their show to raise funds (or both).  
·         Handlers and spectators that bought tuggies, hunted for fleas, donated prizes, bought books, ordered DVDs, your pounds, smiles and best wishes and a whole host of other things.  
·         The good luck messages on the media, phone calls and cards.
All these grew together like the rain drops and gave these competitors a sea of support as they stood on the ring entry line with their dogs (as you know a very lonely place).  It brought tears to my eyes you wonderful lot.
This way of pulling together is the way I would like to see our sport going.  Please apply positive conditioning not only to our dogs but also to how we treat others in HTM.  If someone gives a negative comment about something reply with a positive one. A ‘hi’ and a smile does not cost anything so let’s spend lots of them.

Carol Mortimer

No comments:

Post a Comment