Thursday 13 June 2013

Welcome to Karen Sykes


I have 4 dogs, 3 Working Sheepdogs and 1 rescue crossbreed.

Kes is 15 years old Working Sheepdog and has been very successful in the sport.  Although she no longer competes, she does still enjoy her training and performing for the public.  She is amazing for her age, I am so lucky to have her.

Midge is my new baby, born on 6th April 2013.  She is lovely Working Sheepdog puppy with lots of potential for the future.

I have 2 dogs on the team this year. 

Erin is a 4 year old rescue crossbreed.  We don’t know what breeds are mixed into her but she is a great comic with an amazing personality.  Initial illness & behavioural problems made for a slow start in the sport but with consistent training and help she has done well enough to be invited onto the Team as a reserve for the Freestyle Competition.  I am very proud of my achievements with her as she has been a very challenging personality. 
ERIN  Team GB Freestyle Reserve
Fly, my 12 year old Working Sheepdog, won the Heelwork to Music Individual and Team Championships in 2011.  Fly is a very fast and intense dog who anticipates everything which makes training a real challenge and lots of fun.   Around the home you could not wish for a more loving and well behaved dog, she is a real joy to live with.  Fly has competed at Crufts every year since the very first competition, placed highly every year and won the Crufts Heelwork to Music competition in 2008.  We were unable to compete at the OEC in Prague in 2012, so we are looking forward to trying to win back our title this year! 
Fly - Team GB Heelwork To Music Member
I first competed in Heelwork to Music and Freestyle back in 2001 when Kes and I won the Starters Freestyle class.  I also had my first judging appointment in that year too.  I have judged both at Crufts and around the world and I was the Lead Judge at the Inaugural Heelwork to Music World Championships in 2010 held in Denmark.  I have continued to compete, judge and teach but never did I imagine when I first started where this sport would take me.  Thanks to HTM I have travelled the world with my friend Kath Hardman, judging and holding seminars which has resulted in our making many great friends all over the world through this fabulous sport.
Karen and Fly when they won the HTM in 2011
What I love about Heelwork to Music and Freestyle is that it is the only dog sport where you can do exactly what you want to within the rules and let your imagination run free.  You can show-case the individuality of your dog and never have to perform a move that the dog doesn’t like.  Dogs, dancing and music are a magical combination which gives so much joy to many!

I cannot finish my profile without mentioning my constant companion, Allan.  He has been by my side since 1983 encouraging me in everything I have done, looking after our dogs, taking wonderful photos and helping me to achieve things that I never thought I was capable of. 

To represent your country is a huge honour and I shall do my very best with Fly and Erin but whatever the result, I can be sure of taking the best dogs home to my wonderfully supportive family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment